Royal Rangers Selangor #6

Monday, March 31, 2008

My Survival Camp Experience...

This year is my first year joining the Royal Rangers. I’ve always liked the outdoors since I don’t know when. Survival camp is my chance to get out from my comfort zone, into the jungle and just have fun. It’s like a break away from everything at home. I was a little worried at first, knowing that I have to slaughter a still breathing chicken and the thought that the fella’s blood might just splatter all over my face. EWWW!!

When we had to live in a jungle with nothing but survival kit n the leeches family for a night, we learned to help each other. And that was the first time I’ve ever seen so MANY leeches in my life n even on my feet. But I sort of overcame the fear of leeches after a while. That’s one of the many things I get from this camp. The thought to feed the leeches with the chicken’s blood crossed my mind.

Anyway, we managed to build a shelter, slaughter the little feathery fella, cooked it and survived through the night with some help from the cmdrs. I was actually hoping to see a wild boar or any wild animal in the jungle. It’ll make the camp more interesting. But sadly, none came. Also, I actually have no idea how I managed to go through the murdering chicken part without puking. Seriously!

Sherlyn (first from left) proudly posing with her headless chicken...what a sight!


After that night in the jungle, it was Lepak camp. Before this, I didn’t really know what they mean by Lepak camp. But now I know that Lepak camp really mean Lepak camp cause all we do is lepak. I’ve never been to a Lepak camp before. Well, the best part about Lepak camp for me is that I get to go fishing! Yays!! I’ve always wanted to try fishing.


Overall, it was really fun. I really enjoyed it. I also get to know the other rangers who I didn’t already know. And I definitely got closer to some of the rangers. Just wanna thank God for keeping us safe throughout the whole camp. And for this lifetime experience that money cannot buy.



Written by,
Sherlyn Wong


Sherlyn Wong loves the outdoors, and this is her first camp as a Royal Ranger...and what an experience its been for her! She's also an aspiring student who's currently enjoying her time and freedom. Her next plan is to go to college and pursue a degree in engineering. We wish her all the best!

Share This

No comments: