Royal Rangers Selangor #6

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Getting The Right Balance...

Selamat Hari Raya, friends...and maaf Zahir & Batin, Shaun & Simon too...

Well, yes...you must have figured out. Since the whole of Malaysia is practically on a standstill due to the Raya hols, I guess it was a good time for me to go into hiding for a while too (not forgetting being stuffed with lemang, ketupat and rendang...). But as expected, I missed you guys...*awww* (and the rendang too). And so, here I am back with another story to inspire all you eager and excited 'gun-fully-loaded' SPM-ers, and I hope you'll be blessed. Remember friends, know your priorities and strike a balance in everything you do in life...God bless!


SPM Testimony...by Irvin Lim (the Sheepman)

Ok, so its SPM time. My testimony is long overdue. I was asked to write this out for RR a few years ago. But I never got around to it. The huge amount of work that I have now, this is a good excuse/time to finally get it out.

Let’s backtrack to the year 2002, I was just barely 15 years old, in form 4, my results were rubbish, I was quite far away from God in my personal walk. The things that surrounded me at that time just really distracted me from who I was called to be, and what I was called to do. Counter-strike, yo-yos, table tennis, anything that did not involve studying, I was there. After all, form 4, was honeymoon year wasn’t it? My results were pretty much…. Bicoloured, red and blue, top half was blue, the rest were red. This included Moral, Add Math, Biology, Physics and Chemistry.

For most of you who know me, I kind of had a reputation in church, one of the ‘smarter’ people, from the PTS glory days that I have continued to bask in. The truth was, once I hit secondary school in Subang, things went downhill. The people I mixed with in school, wasn’t ideally the right type of friends.

Going into 2003, Form 5, life’s directions were laid out again before me. And I was happily serving God, even took up Bible Knowledge as an extra subject to do for exams. Serving in Royal Rangers and in Christian Fellowship, I was quite the busy person, going to Taiping to help run RR advancement camps, helping to organize the Subang Interschool rally, etc etc. However, my results still weren’t showing any marks of improvements, ok, maybe they did, a little. But hey, if you get zero for add math, getting 17 marks is like a HUGE difference.

During the last few months heading up to SPM, I sat down in my room one day, and committed my exams into His hands. My studying time, my relaxation time, my time that I take to do His purposes and works, I gave it all back to God. I thought, sweet, I am set for it. Chucking a lofty target of 6A’s for my trials, and bang, started studying for it. Results came back…. If I remember right, it was A’s for English, History and maybe Math….. yeah, that’s about it. Obviously the forecast results showed I passed everything, after all, they do bump your marks up a grade.

I didn’t give up, and continued studying, burning the famous midnight oil, yet finding time to play soccer everyday, attending rangers week in and week out, running the Christian fellowship at school which included prayer meetings every morning. Honouring God with the time that He had given me; went into my exams with the knowledge, or maybe the hope some would say, that God will help me through.

Throughout history, God has always honoured His people that honour Him with their lives. And the same remained, when my results came out, I was amongst the top few in school. Everyone was surprised with my results, all my teachers, many of my friends. The glory and honour always goes back to God when I am questioned about it.

So people, some of you may think its’ too late, and you're in deep trouble, some of you are wondering why you spent so much time doing nothing. Get your gear up because it is never too late. In the midst of chaos, continue to set aside time for God and give Him your best in all that you do. And remember, when the results are out, give the glory back to Him. All the best people!

Have a blessed week studying ok! I'll be back with more stories soon....
Share This

No comments: